fb icon outlook icon bb icon w icon

Veterans Services

Veterans Services

VA Enrollment Checklist
VA Contact Information
VA Standards of Progress
VA Request for Certification

Alpena Community College is approved by the Michigan Department of Education State Approving Agency for the training of veterans and other persons eligible under the educational benefits programs of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). Students must enroll at ACC in an approved degree program, or be enrolled as eligible guest students from another institution.

The college is required to notify the USDVA of any transfer credit granted and the resulting reduction of training time necessary for the student to complete the degree objective. Students who have attended another college must have their transcripts sent to ACC as soon as possible for evaluation. ACC will evaluate transcripts and determine what courses will transfer and how many credits will apply to the student’s degree program at ACC. Transfer credits will be reported in the student’s Program Evaluation (WebAdvisor), which will also identify the remaining courses and credits required for the student’s degree program at ACC.

The ACC Veterans Affairs Coordinator, Robert Roose, is located in the Financial Aid Office of the Van Lare Hall building. The VA Coordinator has all the necessary forms for application of benefits and assists veterans with the process of applying for VA Education Benefits, certifies the enrollments of eligible students to the USDVA, and monitors the Standards of Progress for VA Education Benefits. The student must request certification each semester with the VA Coordinator. All changes of address, program of study, adding or dropping of classes, and withdrawals from courses must be reported immediately to the VA Coordinator. As there are many facets of the program, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment to see the VA Coordinator by calling 989-358-7286. For more information visit https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

Veterans and service persons, their spouses and dependents, or their survivors may be eligible for educational benefits through:

  • The Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33
  • The New GI Bill – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 1606
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), Chapter 32
  • New GI Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 30
  • Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 31
  • Dependent’s Educational Assistance, Chapter 35

VA Enrollment Checklist

Fillable Enrollment Checklist Form
1. Apply for admission to ACC: https://discover.alpenacc.edu/admissions/
2. Apply for and/or transfer VA Education Benefits from another school to ACC. https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/
3. Request official transcripts be sent to Admission’s Office at ACC (High School, GED, and/or any accredited colleges):

Admission’s Office: 665 Johnson Street | Alpena, MI 49707
Remember your military transcripts!
Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard transcripts can be acquired through the Joint Services Transcript (JST) at https://jst.doded.mil
Air Force: www.au.af.mil/au/barnes/ccaf/transcripts.asp

4. Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), even if you are covered by military benefits, this could open up other scholarship opportunities and financial assistance: fafsa.ed.gov
5. New students may be required to complete the placement assessment for reading, writing, and math.
6. Sign up for New Student Orientation: https://www.alpenacc.edu/studentorientations/, you will meet with an advisor and register for classes at orientation.
7. Turn in paperwork to our Certifying Official(s):

  • VA Certificate of Eligibility apply at https://www.va.gov
  • Request for Certification (in the Financial Aid Office)
  • Standards of Progress (in the Financial Aid Office)
  • Copy of DD-214, member 4. (This requirement is exempt for those applying for Chapter 35, Chapter 1606 or had Chapter 33 benefits transferred to them as a dependent.)
  • Copy of your ACC Registration & Billing Statement (in the Registrar’s Office)

8. Be sure to check your ACC e-mail often for important financial aid and registration information.
9. Purchase books and get ready to start classes. Welcome to ACC!

In compliance with the Veteran Affairs SIT-REP Act, Alpena Community College will not impose any penalty, including but not limited to, the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, institutional facilities/resources, or require students to borrow additional funds for which interest or other charges are assessed, on any eligible student that is unable to meet his or her financial obligations because of a delayed GI Bill payment. Students who are unable to make payments to ACC due to delayed GI Bill payments should contact ACC's POC for Military and Veteran Services, Robert Roose, at (989) 358-7286, for assistance.

VA Contact Information

Veterans Customer Services Office (St. Louis)
Toll Free Number: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1)
Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. 

To check status of benefits and to get other information about MGIB active duty or selected reserve benefits; processing claims, VA education programs, or applying for benefits. For additional assistance, students may speak with a veteran’s benefits counselor.

Veterans Services Office (Detroit)
Toll Free Number: 1-800-827-1000 

To get any other information about VA Benefits including education programs; obtaining VA information through the internet or other toll free numbers and VA benefits counseling.

Change Direct Deposit & Address
Toll Free Number: 1-877-838-2778

Request a Copy of DD-214
Department of Defense Record Center: 1-314-538-2050

Monthly Enrollment Verification & Changes
W.A.V.E (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment): https://gibill.va.gov/wave or call Toll Free Number: 1-877-823-2378

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Apply online at https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/

VA Standards of Progress

Fillable Standards of Progress Form
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires that ACC establish and enforce Standards of Progress for all students receiving educational benefits from the VA. These standards are reviewed by the Office of Higher Education Management Services of the Michigan Department of Education and must be approved by the VA.

The college is also required to report to the VA all changes in enrollment status for students receiving benefits. These changes include dropping a class, withdrawing from classes, or failing a class. Such changes may result in a reduction of benefits paid to the student and possible repayment of benefits to the VA. All students receiving education benefits are required to immediately report any such changes in enrollment to the Veterans Affairs counselor at ACC.

All students receiving VA education benefits who receive a failing grade in a course are required to submit a written statement of their attendance in that course to the Veterans Affairs counselor at ACC. This statement must indicate whether or not the student attended that class for the entire semester, or their last date of attendance if they did not attend for the entire semester. If such a statement is not received from the student within five days of the receipt of his/her grade report, the college will notify the VA, and the VA may terminate the student’s benefits for that class retroactive to the first day of classes in that semester.

VA Request for Certification

Fillable Request for Certification for Veterans Benefits Form