Academic Renewal Policy
Alpena Community College is committed to academic excellence and to the ideal of the dignity and worth of the individual. Recognizing that education is a comprehensive, life-long activity, the College will provide a measure of forgiveness for past academic deficiencies. An opportunity will be provided for students requesting and qualifying for academic renewal.
This policy is not intended for students seeking to attain academic honors. This policy is intended to provide an opportunity to fulfill the minimum graduation grade point average requirement of 2.00.
GuidelinesTo be eligible for Academic Renewal, students must:
- Be currently enrolled at Alpena Community College.
- Allow two years or more to elapse since the poor academic performance period.
- Complete at least six credit hours with a 2.00 GPA or higher since the poor academic performance period.
- Submit an Academic Renewal Request to the Registrar with semesters indicated as involved in the request.
- A student may declare and receive Academic Renewal only once.
- Academic Renewal is selected by semester.
- Grades and course history will remain on the transcript; but credits, grade points, and grade point averages will be deleted from semesters involved and the cumulative GPA calculation.
- All ACC coursework included in the selected semester(s) will be subject to academic renewal.
- An Academic Renewal notation will be placed on the student’s transcript where applicable.
- The granted renewal cannot be reversed.
- Academic Honors will not be awarded unless the required grade point average was attained prior to Academic Renewal.
- The student must meet with the Registrar to determine eligibility.
- Academic Renewal does not clear financial aid academic ineligibility.