2021 Commencement Ceremony
Thursday, May 6, 2021, is an important date for you!
ACC will celebrate Commencement 2021 by holding an on-campus drive-through event for all graduating students on Thursday, May 6, 2021.
While ACC is unable to hold our traditional commencement ceremony in the campus gymnasium due to COVID-19 restrictions, the drive-through will allow the College to safely celebrate its graduates in person.
Time & Place
The drive-through will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 6, 2021, outside the Besser Technical Center on the ACC main campus in Alpena. Arrival time slots will be scheduled after the graduate registers for the drive-through.
Drive-Through Commencement Map
The procession will include a drive-through where graduates will check-in, step out of their vehicle at a certain point, have their name announced, receive their diploma cover and congratulations from ACC President, Dr. Don MacMaster, and pose for a picture in their cap and gown.
Graduates are invited to decorate their car, don their graduation regalia, and drive through the main campus area as faculty and staff line the route to cheer them on. All participants will remain in their vehicles except for the graduates at designated stops. Faculty and staff will be in place throughout the route to direct the graduates and their vehicles.
Facemasks are required when outside vehicles in the drive-through area, except when your photo is being taken.
Graduate To-Do Items before the drive-through event
- Deadline to register: Thursday, April 15, 2021, at 4:30 p.m.
- Call 989.358.7353 or email email@example.com to sign up for an arrival time.
- ACC Bookstore Mon-Thu 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Fri 8:30 – 2:00 p.m.
- Graduates will wear caps and gowns to the drive-through event. Graduation attire is available for purchase at the ACC Bookstore, as well as announcements and gift items. For cap & gown questions, contact the Bookstore at 989.358.7274.
- April 26-30 (Mon-Fri) 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in the Registrar’s Office (Van Lare Hall)
- Honor candidates (cumulative GPA of 3.500 or higher – based on cumulative GPA prior to the posting of spring grades), honor society members, and student organization members will wear designated cords, stoles, and/or medals. These items are provided by ACC and may be picked up during the dates/times noted.
- This is where you will receive your registration confirmation with your scheduled arrival time, and reminders about graduation and the drive-through event.
UNABLE TO ATTEND THE DRIVE-THROUGH?
For those who are unable to attend the drive-through, and are not able to pick-up your “pick-up items,” they will be mailed to you at the end of May with your diploma.
Pre-recorded GRADUATION Video
A pre-recorded graduation video will be available on the ACC website www.alpenacc.edu after the drive-through event and will include speeches and other graduation-related information.
- Contact the Registrar’s Office: Call 989.358.7353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit ACC’s Website: Select Current Students at the top of the page and then select Graduation on the left side of the screen
Each student who wishes to receive an Associate Degree or Certificate must apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements for graduation will be completed. Students can submit an application for graduation online via WebAdvisor or download the application for graduation and submit it to the Registrar's Office at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements for graduation will be completed.
- ONLINE Application for Graduation via WebAdvisor
- Log-In to WebAdvisor
- Select the Students Menu
- Under Academic Profile, Select Application for Graduation
- Download Application for Graduation - submit to Registrar's Office, 117 Van Lare Hall
Graduation with a Degree
The requirements for the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in General Studies and Associate in Applied Science degrees consist of general education courses and electives. Each student must satisfactorily complete:
- Six semester credits in English Composition (ENG 111 or 121, and 112 or 122 or 123)
- The American Government requirement, which can be satisfied by either three semester credits of Political Science (PLS 221 or 222) or six semester credits of U.S. History (HST 221 and 222).
- The appropriate number of general education credits from the sciences and mathematics, social science, and humanities groups required for each associate degree.
- The appropriate number of semester credits required for each associate degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Courses numbered under 100 apply only toward the Associate in General Studies degree.
- At least 15-semester credits for graduation at Alpena Community College.
- All Alpena Community College course work with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- The Application for Graduation form.
- A waiver of specific requirements does not reduce the total hours required for graduation.
Additional Associate's Degrees
Students may earn more than one associate's degree by satisfying the requirements for each degree, including completing a minimum of 15 additional credits at Alpena Community College for each degree. The 15 additional credits, which may not have been applied to another degree, must apply to the distribution requirements for an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree or be in the area of occupational specialty for an Associate in Applied Science degree. Additional degrees may be completed and earned concurrently. An Associate in General Studies may not be earned as an additional or concurrent degree.
Graduation with a Certificate
All candidates for graduation from Certificate of Achievement Programs must satisfactorily:
- Complete all courses listed in the curriculum for the specific occupational certificate program.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete the Application for Graduation form
Alpena Community College recognizes high scholastic achievement at graduation. To be eligible for honors, a student must earn 30 hours of academic work - (no S/U coursework) at ACC. Honors are determined for academic work completed at ACC only. Designations are as follows:
- 3.9 or greater grade point average - summa cum laude
- 3.7-3.89 grade point average - magna cum laude
- 3.5-3.69 grade point average - cum laude
The following guidelines govern those situations in which graduation requirements are changed for the program a student enrolled in the college is pursuing.
Students enrolled in a program and degree at Alpena Community College will have the option of completing the degree as specified under the requirements in place at the time of the student's initial enrollment in the program or the requirements in place at the time of graduation if the student has been continuously enrolled in the program.
Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in at least one course during the fall and spring semesters from the initial time of enrollment in the program until the time of graduation. Students who do not satisfy this definition of continuous enrollment must meet the program requirement in effect at the time of graduation.
Age of Course Work
In addition, a student in an associate in an applied science degree program may not apply any course work (either transferred or completed at ACC) older than seven years toward the occupational specialty areas designated for the particular degree program. Exceptions can be granted by departmental recommendation based on proficiency standards. This policy applies only to the AAS degree and has no bearing on any other degrees offered by Alpena Community College.
Policy on Program Revisions Changing Graduation Requirements
Alpena Community College continually revises courses, programs, and graduation requirements in order to provide students with quality educational experiences. Courses are updated to reflect new technology, new courses are added to programs to strengthen students' technical skills, and general education requirements are adjusted in order to more effectively meet students' needs.