Alpena Community College accepts the following types of students for admission:
Students who have never attended college before.
Former ACC Students
Students who have taken classes at ACC in the past. Alpena Community College extends to all students a continuous matriculation; therefore, a former student needs only to contact the Registrar's Office to update his/her personal information file and reactivate registration status. The only exception to this policy applies to students who have been formally dismissed. They must reapply through the office of the Dean of Student Affairs. Please also read about the process of academic renewal.
Students who have attended another college in the past, even if you don’t want to use the credit at ACC. Transcripts of college level course work may be submitted for evaluation to determine possible transfer of credit under the following policies:
- Credits may be transferred from regionally accredited institutions only.
- Only courses with a "C" (2.0) grade or higher are accepted in transfer.
- Dependent on course content, generally courses 100 level and above are accepted in transfer.
- Quarter credits or other units of credit transferred in will be converted to semester credits and must equal the required semester credits for the purpose of satisfying graduation requirements.
- Course work older than seven years will not apply towards any occupational specialty area for an associate in applied science degree. Exceptions may be allowed with departmental recommendation based on departmental proficiency standards.
High School Dual Enrolled Students
Any K-12 student who wants to attend ACC. The Dual Enrollment Program at Alpena Community College provides eligible high school students with the opportunity to enroll in an array of ACC courses that are held either at the ACC campuses, at several off-campus locations throughout the area, and/or online. Every semester, an average of 280 northeast lower Michigan high school students dual enroll at ACC and acquire valuable educational and financial benefits.
Students who are taking a class at ACC to transfer back to their home college. A guest applicant is a student who is currently enrolled in a program at another college or university, and who wishes to complete a course at Alpena Community College as part of that program. A student may not attend as a guest for two consecutive semesters.
Non-Degree seeking Students
Students who want to take a class at ACC, but do not want to earn a certificate or associate’s degree.