A. November 2013 - Initial Survey (311 responses)
Questions and Results
B. Spring 2014 –Based on review of the student survey results the faculty recommend the following ideas for improvement.
- More emphasis (all courses) on promoting library services and access to research material in class and/or Blackboard
- Continue to show library orientation videos (highlight that they exist on Library website)
- Save review of Library orientation until it is relevant
- Offer extra credit for participation in Kim M.’s presentations/or help with papers (tutor)
- Further develop the lecture on library services into an assignment demonstrating how to access periodicals and how to incorporate into writing
- Demonstrate difference between Google sources (or others) and peer reviewed sources
- Include student service information in syllabi
- Student orientation and registration
- Assign a research paper to all students, in which case they would need to learn more about our resources
- Emphasize the importance of more fundamental classes during advising; work harder when teaching lower level classes to make sure that students feel confident that they can continue on
- Incorporate more explanation of how the course material can be used and how it relates to things they are already familiar with – the more relevant the faculty makes it for them, the more they will engage and have a better learning experience
Career Technical Education
- Stress importance of studying before taking the Compass test & ask questions about their career goals during advising.
- Reinforce the importance during advising of taking a math & science class while at ACC, even if it is not required in their program.
- Develop a testing instrument that could predict future success in the students chosen field of study.
- Include information regarding library services in all syllabi and Blackboard sites and/or take students to the library for an orientation to services.
- Assign at least one research project in each class, requiring students to use library services.
- Include information regarding student services in all syllabi and Blackboard sites and/or invite a Student Services Center staff member into class to give a short presentation about services.
- Promote competency in accessing library resources remotely by assessing my student’s familiarity, experience and proficiency in this area.
- Research different types of search engines to be used by nursing students and other health related fields.
- Several instructors incorporated as assignment of a research paper into their courses.
- The Speech instructor brought her SPE 123 student into the library for a tour so they could research their informative speech.
D. April 2015 – Re-assessment Survey (337 responses)
Questions and Results